Monday, March 22, 2010

routine

i realized today that i am a complete hypocrite (do me a favor and look surprised please). when tay first left for barcelona, i whined on and on at her on skype, pleading for details of her everyday existence. then i got to berlin and have since not bothered to actually talk about my daily routine on the blog. mostly because daily routines are relatively boring no matter where on the planet you happen to live.

nevertheless, here goes:

I have language class at my university from 9:30-13:00 (or if my dozentin is feeling particularly cruel, 9:00-13:15) mtwthf. guf. the freie universität, or "free" university, is an hour-long metro ride from my apartment so, yeah, i travel the equivalent time i would if i were commuting from nevada city to sacramento every day. basically, i spend a lot of quality time hanging out with my ipod, zombily (i am aware that is not a word) staring people down creepily on the metro--it's normal, ok? i would especially like to note that german women read really, really crappy american novels translated into german, which is even worse in my opinion. being the cultured person i am (haaaaaa), I started to read erich maria remarque's die nacht von lissabon today. in german. so cultured, right? mhmmmmm.

we have a break half-way through class, thank god. we usually go upstairs to pi cafe, which is a really nice 'alternative' coffee shop at the fu. on sunny days (there have been two so far and i am not exaggerating), we sit on the terrasse. (titillating post so far, right?)

after school, my friends and i frequently eat in the mensa (cafeteria) of the fu, because we're cool like that. actually, the mensa is a pretty fantastic option for students--not like crossroads, which was sooo expensive/disgusting. i usually average meals around 2euro, including something to drink.

afternoons are spent either doing homework, or running, or other things, and then in the evenings we frequently meet up for dinner or at a kneipe (bar) and talktalktalk.

so there you go: that's been my life for the past three weeks, and will continue to be my life for the following three. actually, it's been really fun to have such a busy schedule, but i seriously feel like i never stop moving. the people are great, though, and that is something i am so thankful for.

i have to go to sleep nowwwwwwwwwwwww but first---

GO OBAMA I LOVE YOU (that is residual happiness left over from this morning. despite my irritated eye, i spent the majority of my metro ride to and from the uni smiling idiotically, which got me a couple of reproving looks from staid, older german gentlemen. smiling on the metro is VERBOTEN here. or if not, at least vehemently disapproved of).

1 comment: